Sunday, November 28, 2010

No Facebook November: A reflection

4 hours!! 4 hours left until I'm allowed back on Facebook! Going without Facebook this month has been, well, really nice. I've been able to be really productive, which in turn means I've been stressing about homework less, which is awesome. It's been fairly easy to stay off of Facebook after the initial couple days until about yesterday afternoon. That's when I realized that I was almost done and allowed back on. I re-introduce Facebook in 4 hours, but after tonight I'm setting strict rules on how much time I'm allowed to spend on each day so I don't end up exactly how I was before November-- addicted, thinking about my day in status updates, anxious if I haven't checked it in a few hours.

I think it will be hard to moderate my time on when I get back though. It seems easier to just cut it out all together, avoid all temptation, than to be constantly checking myself to make sure I wasn't wasting too much time.

However, despite not wasting my time on Facebook, I've realized I began now wasting my time watching TV online or playing Tetris. Which makes me wonder how I can possibly eliminate all of my distractions and start actually being super productive. Sure, I've been more productive, but not as much as I had hoped. Having friends to keep me accountable was a huge part-- everyone would know and get on my case if I so much as peeked on Facebook. Because I don't want to let my friends down or "betray" them, I've abstained. But that doesn't mean I've stopped watching an episode of Psych every day.

Basically, what I'm saying is that though, yes, I cut out Facebook, but even with that, I'm a work in progress. I'm still working. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment