Monday, February 14, 2011

God is CAPTIVATING

I've been reading this book, Captivating, by John and Staci Eldredge, and finished it today. I thought it was fitting, seeing as it is Valentine's day and all. In the book, they describe the longing all women have to be romanced, and our wish to be wooed. Unfortunately, being single, I've lately felt like I've been missing out on that part of my life. Valentines day is a perfect day to reflect on how great God is and how He loves me more than any man will ever be able to.

All throughout High School, I was content without a boyfriend (with the exception, of course, dating Jeremy. But even while dating him, I could stand alone, and was fine when we broke up), knowing how few High School relationships last. When preparing to come to college, everyone told me that I would come here and find my husband, then get married right out of college. Well, all you who found your husband the 1st week of college, that is awesome. But it didn't happen to me (as far as I know...) After all that, naturally, I assumed, once I got here, that there would be men galore, fawning and fighting over me. Fortunately, that was not the case.

I have a longing to be romanced. All women do. That is why Captivating was so amazing for me. It opened my eyes to see that God is constantly romancing me. The night I finished the chapter on God romancing us, I walked outside and saw big, slow, picture-perfect snowflakes falling ever so gently from the sky. I love snow. I prefer the cold to overpowering heat too. I laughed out loud as I spun in the snow, then fell backwards into the soft powder. As I lay there, I knew that I didn't need any man pursuing me, at least not yet. I could be absolutely fine being loved on by God. I felt that He provided the snow just then for me, because He loves me. So this Valentine's day, I'm going on a date with God. To all my single women out there, don't give up hope. There's someone amazing there for you. And for now, let God embrace you, love you, and be your Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment